Tried and tested

After the untimely and much-mourned demise of my favorite productivity app Astrid, I carried its non-syncable version on my phone, still able to use my task list that I had built up with so much care even if it was only on my phone. But I also went about worrying about losing the data to some glitch that would need returning the phone to factory settings or other unforeseen circumstances. 

I tried a lot of task apps (todoist, Any.Do, Wunderlist are the ones I remember) that are accessible from both computers and phones: all had one great drawback. I couldn't customize the recurrence period. For example, I check the water levels of the our inverter battery every three months. Astrid allowed me to schedule things 3 months apart, three weeks apart or anything of that sort.Other to-do apps never had that capability.

I did not give up. While holding my precarious Astrid tasks in one hand, I kept searching for a to-do app that would let me schedule the recurrence of my tasks according to my own needs. And a few months ago, I found...


The first thing I noticed on their features list was "Flexible  recurring tasks"! I was still very cautious, and tried it for several days on my comp and phone before transferring my tasks data to TickTick (manually of course).

The app took a little getting used to - as with any new thing - but now I've got the hang of it. On my computer I use only Firefox to browse, so I've set my TickTick account as the home page for Chrome.  So whenever I open Chrome, I have my task list on hand! The interface is clutter-free and quite simple. I like it!

Drawbacks: 
  • Limited number of entries you can make in the free version. Astrid's was unlimited. But I can live with it!
  • It doesn't have a cheerful little octopus congratulating me for the tasks I mark as done :(
So finally without trepidation, but with lots of regret, I let go of the little red octopus in my phone. Bye Astrid, I'll miss ya!!!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts of an Ordinary Malayali Woman

Be Ready!

New year on a note of gratitude